Friday, December 23, 2011

Gingerbread houses

Christmas is a time of traditions - one of ours is Gingerbread houses. I can remember as a little girl how my mother would mix together the gingerbread dough, and my father would roll it out, cut out the parts of the house and how we finally after many hours of waiting were able to decorate it with candy and icing.  Now we decorate gingerbread houses with our boys - the only difference is I do not make the dough, Bob does not roll it out - it comes in a pre-baked kit from IKEA, so each boy can have one to decorate and then later to eat.
Lukas and Noah watched as I assembled the houses and then they set out to decorate. Over the years we have seen quite a few designs and decors. This year they both took the task very seriously, making sure the candy 'matched' and expanding out from the house proper onto the tray.
The houses are now on display for a few brief days before the humidity in the air will get the best of these and the roofs will begin to sag indicating it is time to consume these humble abodes. I am not sure what part the boys enjoy the most, decorating, watching/admiring or eating...











No comments: