Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Ingenuity

We generally live by the "Saturday is candy day" rule. This does not mean there is no candy in the house, only that it is not for consumption. To remove temptation, to relieve the distraction I typically put the candy basket up on a high shelf.
While I was preoccupied in the dining room, I hear giggles from the kitchen - the kinds that usually indicates mischief.... and my mother's intuition was right. The boys had constructed a robotic arm using a bunch of Lego and all their Mindstorm motors, an a control station to maneuver the arm.
Their first attempt was to simply direct the arm from the stairs on to the fridge where the basket was housed. Pretty easy and in no time they were enjoying Almond Joy rather than a healthy morning apple snack. I promptly moved the candy basket, only to see two boys, a step stool and said robotic arm grabbing once again a few pieces of candy.
My solution to the situation, hide the candy. Although I must admit the boys were pretty cleaver in their attempt and therefore were allowed to keep the treats.


No comments: